Leadville Area Info and Activities
Leadville, Colorado is the epicenter of high country recreation, adventure, and relaxation. Grand West Village Resort is conveniently located on the Ski Cooper side of town; close enough to town for dinner with the feel of a remote mountain lodge. Local wildlife likely to be seen on property include deer, elk, an occasional bear, and numerous small animals and birds. Big game hunters, peak baggers, high altitude endurance athletes, fishermen, skiers, campers, and families enjoy the scenic beauty and historical charm of Leadville. The Grand West Village Resort has a walk in freezer for hunters’ temporary meat storage and plenty of parking for ATV and snowmobile trailers.
In the summer whitewater rafting, fishing, jeeping, hiking, peak bagging, horseback riding, mountain biking, rock climbing, and golfing are among the most popular activities. There are many historic sites to visit, shops and restaurants in town, and endless opportunities to discover family fun in the Rocky Mountains.
In the winter skiing, snowboarding, cross country skiing, snowshoeing, and snowmobiling are the area’s most popular activities. Dog sledding and ice fishing are additional authentic Colorado adventures available in Leadville.
Area Recreation Links
- Ski Cooper is arguably the best family ski area in Colorado, and it’s only 7 miles away. Ski Cooper offers downhill, cross country, and snow cat skiing and snowboarding.
- Horseback rides are available for our guest with Half Moon Packing & Outfitting. Hunting trips are also available.
- The Mineral Belt Trail is an 11.6 mile all-season paved (groomed during winter) non motorized trail that loops the city of Leadville.
- Cycles of Life is a full service bike shop and the go-to source for trail info, gear, and repairs.
- Get your outdoor recreation gear at Bill’s Sports Shop.
- The Scenic Train Ride with Leadville Colorado & Southern Railroad Company is a great way to see the high country.
- Experience a unique dining adventure with Tennessee Pass Cookhouse.
- For Winter and Summer Activities Nova Guides offers more activities for any adventure level including: ATV, snowmobile, white water rafting, jeep tours, fishing trips, paintball, and team building.
- Colorado Fly Fishing Guides offers guided fishing trips on over 100 miles of gold medal fishing waters on the Arkansas River.
- Alpine Adventures Dogsledding offers dog powered fun for the whole family.
- The 10th Mountain Division Huts honor the men of 10th Mountain Division of the U.S. Army, who trained during World War II at Camp Hale in central Colorado. Several of these huts are in our back yard.
- 14ers.com has a lot of information about hiking and climbing the many 14,000 foot peaks in Colorado.
- National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum is an attraction not to be missed! Over 5,000 square feet and a moon rock.
- Mount Massive Golf Course is America’s highest golf course. The views are amazing.
- Check out Leadville Today for the latest local and regional news and events.
- The Leadville Chamber of Commerce has a local events calendar and info on businesses.
- Some of our favorite restaurants are: Quincys, City on a Hill Coffee, Golden Burro, High Mountain Pies, Tennessee Pass Cookhouse, and The Grill.
- COTrip.org is has real-time road conditions for the entire state of Colorado.
- Local weather info.
High Altitude Testing
Leadville is a popular destination for high altitude testing. If it works in Leadville it will work anywhere. Industries and manufacturers as varied as drones, furnaces, automobiles, appliances, electronics, medical devices, and many more have used Leadville, CO as a base to test their products in a high altitude environment. The town of Leadville sits at an elevation of 10,152 feet above sea level, and is surrounded by numerous 14,000+ foot mountains. There is no better place to run high altitude tests for temperature ratings, humidity durability, and pressure standards than Leadville, CO. The Grand West Village Resort makes a great home away from home basecamp for those conducting prolonged testing. We’ve hosted pilots, engineers, and scientists (to name a few) while they conducted high altitude testing for their respective companies.